Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2011

My Love for Lolita Fashion

Throughout my childhood and adolescence I found myself enticed by foreign cultures. Greek, Roman, Russian, Korean and Japanese culture have always been interesting to me.
   I grew up watching anime and eventually began buying manga as well. I met people with similar interests and also started listening to Japanese music. Which led up to the introduction of Japanese street fashions into my life.
Decora Kei, Visual Kei, Lolita, Fairy Kei, Gyaru. I loved them all. But Lolita has always stuck out in my mind.
  
  Over the past four years or so, I learned about lolita fashion. I read articles and forums and even began incorporating aspects of it into my own style. I loved the idea of a feminine style while still being modest. 

Right now I'm slowly building up a lolita wardrobe. Loliable clothing can be VERY hard to come by when you live in Newfoundland. Lucky for me, there are a few vintage stores downtown that carry things like blouses, shoes and circle skirts that can be worn in the casual- classic style I go for.
  Lolita can also be very expensive. My current dream dress is an OP from Mary Magdalene. It costs just about $400 canadian. As a first year university student, splurging on a dress is out of the question.
 I wear lolita inspired and casual lolita 2-4 times a week. Even though I've toned down my look quite a bit, I do get stared at quite a lot. But mostly, people are very kind and seem to like it.
  
My first "brand" Purchase will most likely be from R-series, F+F, Dear Celine or Infanta.
My only real problem with lolita is the "sticker shock". I'm pretty scrawny, so I could fit into brand no problem (I personally think all brands should make larger sizes too. It's ridiculous that plus sized lolitas have to compromise.) As far as I know, there are no other Lolitas here in Newfoundland. Most of the people I know of that have even HEARD of the fashion (With the exception of my friends) associate lolita with maid cosplay, ita-lace monster dresses and fetishism.
I'd love to have a lolita meet up, but alas, I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hiii!
    I am also into anime, Japanese music and fashion, and I'm just recently getting into lolita. I live in Newfoundland and I am also 19. I searched to see if there was anyone else into lolita from here and I was so surprised to find your blog because I didn't think there was anyone else interested in it who lives here! Anyways, it would be super nice to know someone else from here who likes it!!

    Feel free to add me on facebook if you have it :D
    http://www.facebook.com/keriii

    ReplyDelete